Does the imminent cookieless future make you (more than a little) nervous? Welcome to the club. As marketers, we are in constant search of the best ways to tackle such seismic challenges. Want to take control of your campaigns and drive sustainable results? Then read on to explore some interesting insights from a recently released report on contextual advertising strategies in cookieless digital environments.
The report is based on a survey that StackAdapt, in partnership with ad industry business intelligence firm Advertiser Perceptions, conducted in Q2 of 2022. The survey included 150 agency and brand advertising decision makers across the US with over $500k total annual advertising spend in programmatic digital advertising. Let’s dive in our summary of this research-driven report on the specifics of cookieless advertising:
- Prepare for a cookieless scenario. With the increased adoption of privacy-related regulations, such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), cookies are the focal point of discussion for programmatic campaigns. In fact, the study found that 95% of advertisers place at least some priority on finding solutions for cookieless scenarios. When asked, 97% of the marketers surveyed were confident that digital advertising would remain at least somewhat effective without the use of 3rd-party cookies. Only 1 in 5 advertisers have actually implemented solutions, with the majority of respondents citing that they are exploring potential solutions.
- But be aware that some cookies will still linger on. Contrary to the popular misconception that cookies will soon crumble into the data abyss, the report emphasizes that there are many instances where cookies will continue to remain relevant. This includes 1st-party data collection and tracking, where consent is given, and several 3rd-party tracking mechanisms that are highly regulated.
- Contextual advertising comes to the rescue. In the environments where a cookie cannot be placed or tracked, are advertisers left without targeting capabilities? Thanks to contextual advertising solutions, the answer is no. Contextual advertising solutions have resurfaced as the preferred method of reaching the right audience, at the right time, and in the right context. Two-thirds of advertisers believe that contextual targeting will be more important in a cookieless environment, according to the study. Advertisers are embracing the need for advanced targeting options, and 66% believe that contextual targeting will be more important in a cookieless environment.
- AI and machine learning join the party. Contextual advertising is evolving, thanks to innovations in machine learning and AI. By introducing them into the mix, advertisers have a perfect recipe for success. The study reveals that 9 in 10 advertisers have at least some knowledge of machine learning and AI. Respondents agree the top 3 benefits of machine learning and AI in contextual advertising are the relevancy of the ads, the high-quality targeting and increased ROI, with 59% of respondents ranking “consumers being served relevant ads” as one of the top 3 benefits.
- (Brand) safety first. Effective campaigns that are brand safe and highly targeted produce efficient results. According to the study, brand safety is top of mind for all advertisers and marketers because the holy grail of programmatic is performance married with brand safety. Nearly all advertisers affirm that contextual targeting aligns with brand safety at least most of the time. Nearly all respondents believe brand safety is important in their ad campaigns: 52% say it’s very important, 46% – somewhat important, and 3% – not very important.
- Lean on the right measurement and martech partner. Programmatic platforms, measurement and martech partners are the top resources for guidance to address a cookieless future, according to the study. Respondents agree that programmatic advertising platforms like demand-side platforms (DSPs) are excellent for learning. 71% of respondents cited that these platforms are the top resources for guidance on how to approach cookieless environments. It is highly beneficial for advertisers and marketers to lean on their programmatic platform producers for information and support not only for contextual, but for all digital advertising strategies.
The end of 3rd-party cookies is approaching but that doesn’t have to mean the end of the world for marketers. With growing limitations on their use, advertisers are facing challenges in audience identification, targeting and optimization. Finding the right platform to engage with consumers is crucial for brands in order to stay top of mind. Novelty Media, via SmartAdd, is your trusted partner for the cookieless future. As a truly innovative media channel endorsed by Mobile Operators, we use 100% consent-based first-party data to deliver your brand message to your desired audience in a brand safe, efficient, non-intrusive and highly engaging environment. Keep following our Marketing Bites to discover how to embrace our solution and capitalize on the contextual advertising opportunity.